Photo Gallery | Mid-South commemorates Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with events
The Mid-South is commemorating the leadership, vision, beliefs and sacrifice of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. through a variety of events and programs. This is an ongoing list, if you have an event to add - please list it in the comments.
- In honor of the King national holiday, visitors can bring canned good items for Mid-South Food Bank and receive $1 off the discounted King Holiday museum admission. More here.
- On Jan. 21 at Lemoyne College will host a giant prayer breakfast to honor Dr. King and others in the community. CALL 435-1539 for more information.
- Grizzlies to honor athletes' civil rights contribution during MLK celebration. More here.
- Dozens of volunteers from all over the city will come together in the spirit of service at Shelby Farms Park, in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. More here.
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will administer the Oath of Allegiance to 150 candidates who will become America’s newest citizens during a special naturalization ceremony at the Benjamin Hooks Library on Tuesday, January 22.
- Reminder: Memphis City Schools and its administrative offices will be closed on Monday, January 21, 2013, in observance of the national holiday recognizing the birth of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- The 28th annual Dr. Martin Luther King National Holiday Parade lines up at 10 a.m. at the corner of Main and Auction in Downtown Memphis and steps off at 10:30 a.m. It runs down south on Main to exchange. Call 901-870-5267 for more information.
- Reminder: No solid waste collection on MLK Day. More information here.