Photo Gallery | New yoga, dance studio opening in Overton Square
There's a new business starting up in Overton Square that is going to help the neighborhood get back into shape.
Delta Groove Memphis — with support from Cosmic Coconut and the Cosmic Collective effort — will be opening a studio in one of the empty storefronts in the square.
“A month ago we were invited to MemShop with Cosmic Collective, and I hadn’t planned on opening a personal studio,” said owner Olivia Lomax.
After a great experience participating in MemShop last month and ongoing requests from a large following, Lomax decided to open a studio in Midtown.
“I really like the energy, love going on (in Overton Square),” she said.
Lomax said the studio will be selling bottled juices from Cosmic Coconut, because she wants to promote healthy living and eating.
Delta Groove Memphis will allow Lomax to teach her coined style involving vedic yoga.
There will also be a loft area opened up for dancing.
Lomax is former managing partner of the recently closed Give Yoga Memphis in East Memphis.
“It was a challenge, but the open mindedness (in the square) is much easier, and more fun,” she said.
Lomax is looking at two different spaces between Golden India and Memphis Pizza Cafe.
Either way both spaces are under renovations throughout the month, but this isn't keeping Delta Groove Yoga from getting the ball rolling.
Helping Lomax kick off her new venture are celebrity yoga teachers Ana Brett and Ravi Singh.
Authors of 23 popular DVDs, this duo is known for teaching celebrities and Olympic athletes Kundalini yoga, an athletic type of yoga which covers the most important fitness fundamentals. The Biggest Loser's Jillian Michaels recently called them her favorite yoga teachers.
A pop-up shop will house the event at a temporary location, since the studio will still be going through repairs.
"Memphis is becoming the hub of yoga in the south. Delta Groove Yoga promises to be the premier yoga center in Memphis. Owner Olivia Lomax has been the catalyst for a very vibrant, enthusiastic, and every-expanding community," said Brett.
- Friday, January 25, 2012 through January 27
- Temporary location: 2095 Madison Avenue
- Friday night's session, called Shine Like the Star You Are! is from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and costs $35.
- Saturday, yogis will have two opportunities to practice. Sweat and Glow is from 10:00 a.m. to noon and Soul Glory is from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Each session is $45.
- The finale workshop, which includes a Kundalini Yoga Superset for 2013, takes place Sunday morning from 9:30 a.m. to noon. It is $45.
- The entire weekend workshop experience is available for $160.