Hutchison senior earns White House honors | Schools
(WMC-TV) - A Memphis high school senior is one of less than 150 students nationwide to be included in this year’s class of Presidential Scholars.
U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan announced Wednesday that Caroline Orr, who attends Hutchison, was named to the select group.
The awards are given out based on students’ “academic success, artistic excellence, essays, school evaluations and transcripts, as well as evidence of community service, leadership, and demonstrated commitment to high ideals,” according to a news release.
Of the 3,300 students who applied for the award, only 141 were selected.
Orr also had the opportunity to honor the teacher whose classes challenged her the most or that she liked the most. She chose to give the Teacher Recognition Award to Hutchison English teacher and college counselor Hadley Hury.
The pair will accept its awards during a Washington, D.C., ceremony in June.
Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.
Top East Memphis Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Farmer's Market is ripe for picking
- Advisory opinion: Cordova residents do not have legal authority to demand De-annexation referendum
- Neighborhood Watch Block Party being held in Lakeland Community
- Neighbors of Isaac Hayes' former mansion upset over lack of action
- Kids to make difference at humane society summer camp