Apartment fire forces families from homes | News
MEMPHIS, TN- (WMC-TV) - A massive fire lit up an apartment complex Monday morning, forcing several families to run for their lives and leaving them with no place to live.
The blaze broke out at the Hamlets Condominiums off Clarke Road in East Memphis.
Firefighters dumped gallon after gallon of water on the fire as it engulfed several apartments.
Ruby Hailey-Smith was one of several residents who ran after neighbors began knocking on doors and alerting people to the fire.
"When our fire crews arrived on the scene, there was heavy fire coming from the roof of the two story condos," said Lt. Wayne Cook, of the Memphis Fire Department.
An army of firefighters battled the blaze from several positions and eventually they were able to get the blaze under control and all the residents out safely.
"The roof burned; so everything is pretty well burned in our apartment too," said Hailey-Smith. "Right now, I think I'm in shock, I really do. I think that this is unreal to me because everything is gone."
"Several families will be displaced, approximately eight units were affected by the fire," said Cook.
The roof of one unit collapsed, but residents say the good news is everyone got out alive.
Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.
Top East Memphis Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Farmer's Market is ripe for picking
- Advisory opinion: Cordova residents do not have legal authority to demand De-annexation referendum
- Neighborhood Watch Block Party being held in Lakeland Community
- Neighbors of Isaac Hayes' former mansion upset over lack of action
- Kids to make difference at humane society summer camp