Escaping the food desert | Events
(WMC-TV) - It’s hard to stay healthy when a pack of Oreos costs less than fresh produce.
With Memphis recently ranking as the fattest city in nation, many experts say it has become crucial that we pay attention what’s on the table.
Luckily, Healthy Memphis Common Table is spearheading efforts to make Memphis the healthiest city in the nation. On Tuesday, May 22, HMCT will bring Uplift Solution’s founder, Jeff Brown, to speak at the group’s annual meeting.
Brown will speak on the “food desert that has plagued our city." This is a phenomenon where healthy, affordable food is difficult to obtain in industrialized urban areas. In most cases, food deserts are in poor neighborhoods, causing lower income families to suffer from numerous health problems that stem from obesity.
With the nation as a whole facing a health crisis and local produce markets struggling to stay afloat, perhaps Healthy Memphis Common Table and Jeff Brown have some positive insight on to how we can change our health habits for the better.
Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.
Top East Memphis Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Farmer's Market is ripe for picking
- Advisory opinion: Cordova residents do not have legal authority to demand De-annexation referendum
- Neighborhood Watch Block Party being held in Lakeland Community
- Neighbors of Isaac Hayes' former mansion upset over lack of action
- Kids to make difference at humane society summer camp