Half marathon hopes to go green | Environment
(WMC-TV) - Runners will be able to race their way through the Greenline Half marathon without worrying about its environmental impact if the Shelby Farms Park Conservancy has its way.
The group is working to get its race certified as a green event by the Council for Responsible Sport.
If the conservancy is successful, the half marathon will be the first event in Tennessee to receive ReSport Certification.
As part of its plan, the group hopes to ensure that only a quarter of the race's trash will head to landfills and offset half of the carbon emissions created during travel to the race.
The Greenline Half Marathon will be held on October 14.
Click here for more information about the race.
Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.
Top East Memphis Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Farmer's Market is ripe for picking
- Advisory opinion: Cordova residents do not have legal authority to demand De-annexation referendum
- Neighborhood Watch Block Party being held in Lakeland Community
- Neighbors of Isaac Hayes' former mansion upset over lack of action
- Kids to make difference at humane society summer camp