Air pollution prompts MATA to offer fare discounts | Environment
(WMC-TV) – MATA riders will get discounted fares Thursday, but unfortunately it’s because the air is expected to be unhealthy for some Mid-Southerners.
Forecasters have declared a code orange alert because they predict that the air quality will be especially poor Thursday. MATA is offering 25 cent fares to help improve air quality.
“A code orange alert means the amount of ground-level ozone in our air has reached unhealthy levels,” said a MATA official in a written release. “Any active children or adults, and people with respiratory disease such as asthma should avoid prolonged outdoor exertion; everyone else should limit prolonged outdoor exertion.”
While fares will be discounted for everyone Thursday, people with disabilities and those 65 and older will be able to ride busses and trolley for free with a valid MATA ID.
Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.
Top East Memphis Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Farmer's Market is ripe for picking
- Advisory opinion: Cordova residents do not have legal authority to demand De-annexation referendum
- Neighborhood Watch Block Party being held in Lakeland Community
- Neighbors of Isaac Hayes' former mansion upset over lack of action
- Kids to make difference at humane society summer camp