Woman tells police she can't afford to feed starving dogs | Crime
(WMC-TV) - A woman arrested after police found a pair of starving dogs in her backyard told officers she couldn't afford to feed the animals, according to court records.
Animal control officers first came to Mary Burrough's home in the 3300 block of Farmville Road on July 27. They found two emaciated pit bulls in her backyard and issued her an order to take better care of the dogs.
On Monday, police were called to Burrough's house and say they found that the same dogs were still suffering from a lack of food. A female dog was chained on the back porch with her puppies. While she had access to water, there wasn't any food nearby. A male dog was chained in the backyard with no shelter, food or water, according to police.
Burrough was arrested and admitted to officers that she hadn't fed the animals in 2 days be couldn't afford food for them.
Copyright 2012 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.
Top East Memphis Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Sudden storm sweeps through Shelby Co., more showers possible
- Farmer's Market is ripe for picking
- Advisory opinion: Cordova residents do not have legal authority to demand De-annexation referendum
- Neighborhood Watch Block Party being held in Lakeland Community
- Neighbors of Isaac Hayes' former mansion upset over lack of action